16 July 2019 Carnival UK helps bring the beach to Southampton
An event that will transform Southampton’s Guildhall Square into an urban beach has received backing from one of the biggest names in the cruise industry
Carnival UK has stepped on board as headline sponsor of Seaside in the Square, which takes place from July 19 to August 11, 2019.
Seaside in the Square sees Guildhall Square turned into an ‘urban beach’ during the summer, complete with sand, beachside bar and places to relax. It features an action-packed programme of entertainment, including everything from live music and craft workshops to fitness classes, yoga and skateboarding.
Giles Semper, chief executive of GO! Southampton, which organises the event, said: “We’re thrilled to have the backing of Carnival UK for the second Seaside in the Square. Not only are Carnival UK and Corporate Shipbuilding one of the city’s largest and most important employers, their brands P&O Cruises, Cunard, Princess Cruises, Holland America Line and Seabourn also drive much of the activity at our world-famous cruise terminal. We are hugely grateful to the company for supporting this showpiece event, to which all the city’s residents and workers are welcome.
“We look forward to making the event an even bigger success with Carnival UK on board.”
Carnival UK president, Josh Weinstein, added: “We are absolutely delighted to be working with GO! Southampton to bring this superb event to our city and we are excited that everyone at Carnival House will be able to enjoy it with their families this summer. With its holiday vibe and activities for all ages and tastes, Seaside in the Square will provide Southampton’s residents and workers with a fun place to chill out along with a taste of the relaxation, indulgence and adventure which typify a holiday with us.”
Events planned as part of this year’s event include:
- An action-packed programme of live music, comedy and theatre courtesy of NST, Nuffield Southampton Theatres
- Sandcastle building competitions
- A seaside bar run by Orange Rooms, featuring a variety of summer-inspired drinks
- An outdoor cinema in conjunction with City Eye
- The chance to try out sports with free taster sessions courtesy of Decathlon and Rees Leisure, the company behind the ABP Southampton Marathon
- A quiz night held by Orange rooms
- Arts and crafts sessions
- Free skateboard training sessions every Saturday, run by Skate Southampton
- Children and family activities with the YMCA
Seaside in the Square will be free to attend and open every day from early morning to late evening. From 7pm entry will be for over 18s only.
To find out more about Seaside in the Square and see a full list of events and activities taking place visit www.seasideinthesquare.com