3 October 2019 Fareham Borough Council announce new design for Ferneham Hall
Fareham Borough Council is excited to announce the concept design for a new venue to replace Ferneham Hall, which will see it transformed into a new community, arts and entertainment venue
The current venue will close on 6 January 2020 for a period of up to two years for the remodelling project to take place.
The new designs were approved by a special meeting of the Council’s Executive last night (26 September 2019).
The transformation will include:
- A main auditorium with 808-seats: There will be retractable seating on the ground floor and fixed balcony seating on the first floor. The stage width and depth will be increased and this along with increased seating numbers will help attract a greater range of professional productions;
- New foyer and interval space: The foyer size will increase compared to the current space. It will be more open and welcoming, with areas for small pop-up exhibitions. A café with kitchen will operate throughout the day on the ground floor, with an additional outdoor seating area available. The foyer space will continue up to the first floor, where there will also be a bar area with terrace;
- Secondary performance space: The 120-capacity auditorium will have demountable seating alongside a projector and screen. This means that the space is fully flexible, allowing uses such as cinema screenings, conferences, performances, dance and community or club meetings;
- First floor studio space: This will accommodate a range of activities e.g. yoga, dance, exhibitions and conferences;
- Community facilities: A large, flexible meeting room for hire will be provided on the ground floor. Community groups and organisations will also be encouraged to hire the studio space, secondary performance space as well as foyer areas and main auditorium if required.
Executive member for Leisure and Community at Fareham Borough Leisure, Cllr Sue Bell, said: “Ferneham Hall has become tired and dated over the 40 years of its life, and transforming it into a community, arts and entertainment venue is one of the Council’s key priorities.
“This exciting concept design will see it become a bustling hub of activity, daytime and evening, seven days a week, offering something for everyone.”
The new designs can be viewed here: http://moderngov.fareham.gov.uk/documents/s22970/Appendix%20A%20Concept%20Design.pdf
The new operator for Ferneham Hall, who will run the venue on the Council’s behalf, will be announced next month.