Please see below a final 2019/20 academic year update on key information regarding our Eastleigh College Covid-19 Bounce Back pledge, continuing our support for Year 11 pupils, continuing our support for employers, Ofsted, College open events, and an applications and enrolment update.
- Our Eastleigh College Covid-19 bounce back pledge
We are today launching our ambitious pledge for individuals, employers and communities across the Solent and South Hampshire. Our pledge has been developed in partnership with a number of our stakeholders and made possible by adjusting the normal use of our existing funding, and following positive dialogue with our funders about existing flexibilities. As a key anchor institution in our region we recognise our responsibility to both lead and proactively collaborate to deliver the following in the 2020/21 academic year:
- That we will train a minimum of 500 new apprentices.
- A guaranteed place for all eligible full time 16-18 students whether school or College leaver whose ambition is to pursue a professional or technical career through one of our courses.
- A guaranteed place for all eligible adults wanting to enrol on one of our flexible, supportive and high quality full or part time Access or Higher Education (HE) courses.
- Committing Adult Skills funding to retraining, supporting the unemployed, upskilling, or to provide a pathway to an apprenticeship.
- Continuing to bring communities together by committing to maintaining and seeking to grow our regional Adult and Community Learning offer whether through socially distanced and / or online delivery methods.
- That we will provide a Covid secure learning environment which combined with our proven ability to deliver learning online will ensure we continue to meet government requirements. Therefore this will enable us to maintain all of our provision whether delivered onsite, online or a combination of both however the Covid-19 pandemic develops.
For more information, and to download a copy of the full brochure, please visit: www.eastleigh.ac.uk/c19pledge
- Support for Year 11 pupils
We have continued to develop transition materials for all Year 11 learners and have updated resources fortnightly. I have been delighted to see emails from Year 11 learners to our staff discussing the work and submitting activities. These resources will remain ‘live’ through the summer and likely up to the end of September 2020.
- Support for employers
We have continued our normal levels of service through online delivery for all employers with apprentices trained by the College. Since the beginning of June we have prioritised onsite attendance for those apprentices and students who need access to College workshops or facilities for assessment or essential skills development. We have also launched a suite of online learning courses which combined with our existing CPD offer provides a wide range of options suitable whether businesses are contracting, consolidating or expanding.
We recently participated in the Ofsted led national review of online learning. We were the only College in the Solent to be invited to participate and we were delighted with the feedback received about the quality of our online learning and support in place. Our apprentices and students across a wide range of subjects reported that their learning and progress had not been adversely impacted by the lockdown. A total of 12 Colleges from across the country were reviewed and the findings will be used to develop a national report for the sector.
- Open Event – Wednesday 8th July
To respond to demand we have added an additional online open event that starts at 16:00 next Wednesday. The event will consist of dedicated talks and we will have over 30 subject specific chat rooms operating at the same time. For information the event landing page is linked here: https://eastleighcollege.onlineopendays.com/.
- Applications and enrolment
Our applications process remains fully operational and despite recent relaxations in social distancing interviews will be conducted via phone, or Microsoft Teams. We have well developed plans for GCSE results day on Thursday 20 August and are planning to hold an additional online open event from 16:00 on GCSE results day to provide immediate reassurance, guidance and support for individuals and families. Details of our GCSE results day open event will go live on our website no later than the end of July.
Main enrolment planning is well advanced and sees a Covid secure approach being maintained throughout. Our main enrolment will take place during the week beginning 24 August. Extended enrolment will then take place throughout September. To proactively prepare for what is expected to be a year when we see very different enrolment patterns we have developed entry points for learners at regular intervals throughout next year.
In addition to the updates above our Coronavirus FAQ continue to be regularly updated and are linked here: https://www.eastleigh.ac.uk/about/welcome/coronavirus-faqs/