Fareham Borough Council has confirmed details of a draft scheme designed to help some businesses that have not met the criteria for the Government’s business support package.
Details of the new scheme have been published on the Council’s website ahead of a decision being made by the Council’s Executive on 2nd June.
Businesses seeking to apply for a discretionary business grant are urged to submit an expression of interest immediately as, following approval of the scheme, applications will need to be made within two weeks. The scheme will close on 16th June.
All local authorities have been tasked with creating a local scheme that meets Government requirements but also uses local knowledge and discretion about economic need in the region. It is for small and micro businesses with ongoing property-related costs, based in Fareham, that have not been eligible for other Government business support schemes or self-employment income support.
Across Fareham, priority will be given to:
- Small businesses in shared offices or other flexible workspaces (but not home working)
- Regular market traders with fixed building costs
- Bed and Breakfast businesses that pay council tax
- Charity properties that receive charitable business rates relief and would otherwise have been eligible for Small Business Rates Relief
- Businesses that provide a community benefit to the residents of Fareham;
- Businesses where there are limited alternatives available and whose loss could be detrimental to Fareham residents;
- Businesses solely located in Fareham;
- Businesses that operate within key sectors of strategic interest for the region: including marine, aviation, aerospace, engineering and advanced manufacturing; and businesses that support the vitality of the town centre.
Cllr Seán Woodward, Executive Leader of Fareham Borough Council, said: ‘To date we have paid out around £17M in business grants but there are some businesses that we have not been able to help, as they don’t meet the criteria. This new fund of around £1M will enable the Council to help many of those smaller businesses who are struggling with ongoing property-related costs.’
For details visit: https://www.fareham.gov.uk/coronavirus/businesses.aspx and click on the link for the Discretionary Grants Fund.