Support for shops reopening
Shops are being supported as they start re-opening their businesses, while residents will be encouraged to ‘Go Shop, Go Eat, Go, Safe, Go Local’, as we commit to supporting the recovery of the local economy.
From 15 June non-essential shops will be re-opening and further businesses like restaurants could start to open in July dependent on government advice. We will continue to work with businesses and will review the ongoing and changing situation. Some of the practical steps to support the safe opening of shops include:
- Suspending non-essential road works around busy retail areas to reduce conflict on footpaths
- Making it easier for the public to use active travel to move around the city
- Temporarily removing some parking spaces from 15 June to create space for social distancing outside shops.
- Changing the positioning of market stalls in the city to prevent clashes with shop queues
- Suspending licenses for pavement chairs and tables
- Encouraging the public to think about how they travel to shops and the way they shop, to reduce the spread of coronavirus
- Installing social distancing signage and street markings around main retail areas
- Providing guidance and advice to support businesses – including a queue management guide and free safety posters
Over the coming months residents will be encouraged back to the high streets safely. The slogan ‘Go shop, Go eat, Go safe, Go local’ will remind people to think about the businesses in their community. In the first month the focus will be on following the safety elements including following shops guidance, being patient and kind as shops are operating differently, to do their bit to help reduce the spread of coronavirus.
If you are a Portsmouth business needing support with re-opening plans call the dedicated coronavirus business support helpline on 023 9284 1641, email RegenerationAdminTeam@portsmouthcc.gov.uk
Apply now for discretionary grant
If you run a small or micro business in Portsmouth that has not qualified for grant support from the government so far, you may be eligible for up to £10,000 from our new fund. The scheme covers small businesses including B&Bs, market traders, charitable organisations and businesses in shared premises or facilities.
Take a look at our guidance on our website and see if you are eligible. Applications are open until 4:30pm on Monday 22 June 2020 – please help spread the word.