Sports stars and inspirational volunteers celebrated in Winchester District Sports Awards
A woman whose work has inspired almost 1,000 women to start cycling was among the winners at Winchester’s own version of Sports Personality of the Year awards
Vicky Smith was handed the Volunteer of the Year award at the 2018 Winchester District Sports Awards for running more than 200 free women’s bike rides under the British Cycling’s Breeze programme.
Since the rides began five years ago, nearly 1,000 women have signed up and Vicky also organises mixed rides with Cycling UK and also helps run women-only bike maintenance courses.
Also among the winners was Jon Flynn, who was given the Changing Lives through Physical Activity award.
Jon developed an initiative known as ‘Blaze a Trail’ within Swanmore Primary School, which encourages staff, children and families to run or walk before or during scheduled lessons in the school timetable.
The winners were celebrated at the ceremony at the Holiday Inn, Winchester and handed their awards by Councillor Frank Pearson, the Mayor of Winchester, along with the category sponsors.
Cllr Lisa Griffiths, the council’s Portfolio Holder for Health and Wellbeing, said:
“It’s fantastic to see so many people come together to celebrate the remarkable sporting achievements made during 2018.
“The hard work, determination and commitment has not gone unnoticed. Every year, this event leaves me feeling inspired and proud of our sporting community in the district and I congratulate all of those involved.”
The awards aim to celebrate the achievements and commitment of local coaches, volunteers, sportsmen and sportswomen over the past year.
There was a strong list of nominations made across eleven categories, with a judging panel given the tough task of whittling down the submissions to select the winners.
The full list of winners:
- · Junior Sportsman – Sam Jones (Westgate Performance Centre)
- · Junior Sportswoman – Matilda Nicholls (Andrew Simpson Watersports Centre)
- · Volunteer of the Year – Vicky Smith (Winchester Breeze Cycle Rides)
- · Club of the Year – Winchester Fit Club
- · Team of the Year – Winchester Penguins Swimming Club
- · Disability Sportsperson – Benedict Tyler (Winchester Racquets and Fitness Club)
- · Coach of the Year – Malcolm Cross ( Velo Club Venta)
- · Services to Sport – Richard Atkinson (Winchester Racquets and Fitness Club)
- · Changing Lives through Physical Activity – Jon Flynn (Blaze a Trail – Swanmore Primary School)
- · Making a Difference – Tim and May Glover-Poultney (Winchester parkrun)
- · Senior Sportsperson – Helen Trippe (Winchester City Penguins Swimming Club)
- · Junior Sportsman – Princes Mead School
- · Junior Sportswoman – Princes Mead School
- · Volunteer of the Year – University of Winchester
- · Club of the Year – Sparsholt College
- · Team of the Year – Winchester Physiotherapy and Sports Injury Clinic
- · Disability Sportsperson – Winchester Go Learning Difficulties
- · Coach of the Year – Places Leisure
- · Services to Sport – Places Leisure
- · Changing Lives through Physical Activity – Winchester City Council
- · Making a Difference – TS Education