Please stay home
Coronavirus infections continue to rise rapidly in Portsmouth.
There were 1353 confirmed cases in the last seven days – that means that around 15% of all confirmed coronavirus cases since March 2020 have happened in the last week. This shows exactly how fast the infection is spreading and why we all need to follow the national lockdown rules:
- Stay at home
- Limit essential food shopping trips
- Keep exercise local
- Work from home if possible
If you know someone who needs information or advice who isn’t online, they can call 023 9261 6708, from 9am to 4pm Monday to Friday.
Do you know when to self-isolate?
Self-isolating is one of the most powerful tools we have to slow the spread of coronavirus.
If you are told to self-isolate, you must do so – even if you don’t have symptoms. If you don’t self-isolate when you should you’ll be breaking the law and could be fined.
Self-isolating means staying at home – that means no work, no shopping and no exercise outside your home or private garden.
With more cases of the virus being confirmed every day, you should plan ahead now to make sure you can self-isolate quickly and safely if you’re told to.
Help is available. You might be eligible for financial support, and we can help with food, medicine, dog walking and money advice (and much more) if you don’t have friends, family or neighbours who can help.
Changes to council services
The vast majority of council services – including recycling and rubbish collections – will continue to operate throughout these tighter restrictions. We have changed how we deliver some of our services during the pandemic, but we’re still here for you.
- Libraries – from Friday 8 January will offer a reduced service to residents, including click and collect and access to public computers.
- Parking permits – will not be available to collect from libraries, please use Ringo instead.
- Civic Offices and area housing offices – To protect our customers during the national lockdown, the Civic Offices and housing offices will be temporarily closed for cash payments from Monday, 11 January. Payments can be made online – go to www.portsmouth.gov.uk and click payments. You can also call our payments line on 0800 876 6576. If you usually pay in cash and you are concerned about making a payment, please call us on 023 9284 1622 so we can help. Contact details for your local housing office can be found on our ‘contact us’ page.
Help our bin crews
Recycling and rubbish collections are continuing as normal and you can still book appointments to use the HWRC.
Our crews are hard at work, but with more people staying at home we need you to keep your recycling and rubbish to a minimum wherever possible. The crew will collect one standard black bag in addition to a household’s waste allowance during this lockdown. Please try and keep to the weekly rubbish allowance and use local recycling banks where possible.
Get tested at the weekend if you have symptoms
Testing centres are open seven days a week. Book a test as soon as you have symptoms.
If you have any of the symptoms of coronavirus, you can – and should – leave the house during national lockdown to get a test. The symptoms to be aware of are:
- a new persistent cough
- a high temperature
- a loss of, or change to, your sense of taste
- a loss of, or change to, your sense of smell
The test involves a swab of your nose and throat using a soft cotton bud. It might be a little uncomfortable but shouldn’t be painful.
You and anyone you live with must self-isolate until you get your result.
How to get help if you need it
If you need additional support and don’t have family, friends or neighbours who can help, contact HIVE Portsmouth, the independent charity managing the community response to the coronavirus pandemic.
Call them on 023 9261 6709 Monday to Friday, 9am to 5pm or visit their website
The pandemic has increased financial pressures for lots of people. If you’ve got money worries, are having a tough time with bills or debts, or are struggling to make ends meet, free and confidential help is available.