THE QUEENS HOTEL HISTORY
Since 1865 a hotel has stood proudly on this site. Originally built in 1861 by local architect Augustus Livesay, Southsea House was first constructed as a large private home for Sir John and Lady Morris. The house was situated in an almost identical position to the front half of the existing hotel but was at that time surrounded by woodland – Stone Woods – and the Royal Albert Yacht Club.
In the latter part of the 19th Century, around 1865 during a boom in construction and tourism around Southsea, the house was converted into a hotel by William Kemp Junior. The Queens Hotel became one of the first hotels in Portsmouth. It was a grand building, focusing on leisure and relaxation for the upper classes, with suites and staff for guests and access to the private garden with the views across Southsea Common and the Solent still enjoyed by guests today.
The New Queens Hotel was to be a much grander purpose-built hotel with rooms for 63 guests and 33 staff, designed by London based architect Thomas William Cutler.
THE QUEENS HOTEL TODAY
A major refurbishment project is underway at the Queens Hotel to restore her to her former glory. So far £4.4m has been spent on updating the bedrooms, redesigning Dukes Bar and Restaurant 1865 and creating a business suite with access to the private garden.