Havant & South Downs College is the largest further education college in Hampshire
The College occupies two sites between Waterlooville and Havant, and also operates provision at seven off-site venues including the Leigh Park Learning Centre. Provision includes full-time and part-time courses, both A Level and vocational, and a growing range of apprenticeships.
Upon his appointment, the new Principal engaged with all staff to establish a new mission and vision for the College. “Destination 2020” states the College’s vision as “to be the leading provider for professional and technical excellence”, achieved via seven strategic goals:
- We will achieve outstanding student outcomes that demonstrate ambition and progression that clearly transforms lives.
- We will engage as a strategic partner with employers, responding to needs of business and contributing to our economic and cultural community.
- We will be financially sustainable, with the ability to invest to transform to support the delivery of our vision.
- Our learning community will have access to industry-standard facilities that create an innovative teaching and learning environment.
- We will be socially responsible and inclusive through pro-actively meeting the needs of all learners so they achieve and progress.
- We will act as an exemplary employer that attracts and invests in a highly skilled and responsive workforce achieving a shared sense of mission.
- We will have a differential advantage to other providers, ensuring a strong positive brand recognition reflecting high levels of stakeholder satisfaction.
The Solent LEP Skills Strategy 2014-16 states its vision for the Solent area as “to create an environment that will bring about sustainable economic growth and private sector investment in the Solent. It will assist this globally-competitive area reach its full potential, enabling existing businesses to grow, become more profitable and to be greener; enabling the creation of new businesses and attracting new businesses to the region.”
To achieve this, four strategic themes have been identified; develop world-class skills, transitions to employment, raise business investment in skills and develop a responsive skills and employment system. The College is fully engaged in meeting the challenges and opportunities identified in the LEP strategy. For example:
- Demand for higher-level skills with lower-than-average participation in higher education. The College is rapidly expanding its provision above Level 3, with a particular focus on skills sectors required in the local economy including Engineering and IT;
- Large amount of public sector employment. The College is further expanding its significant partnerships with employers in sectors such as health and social care, education, armed forces, and emergency services;
- Youth and long-term unemployment. The College has developed a new Level 1 programme to meet the needs of NEET young people in the area, and has redesigned its functional skills programme for adults to increase success and add employability qualifications.
The College offers a wide range of part-time courses that have been developed to support those thinking about progressing in their occupation, changing their career direction, or simply wishing to learn a new skill. With the support of the College’s staff, all experts in their field, studying a part-time course is an excellent way to realise your potential.
For those whose aims and aspirations are to establish, progress or further your career, we have courses which will enable you to access higher education, study at a higher level or update your industry knowledge, ensuring that you are equipped with the latest skills to support you in the workplace.
The College is currently developing its range of distance and online learning programmes, including the full range of training available through its accreditation with the Microsoft Academy. Whether you are an individual wishing to study from home, or an employer looking to upskill your workforce, please contact the College to find out how we can support you.
Ready to amplify your business reach and be a force for positive change in the Central South? Become a Business South Champion today and unlock a wealth of networking, profile-boosting, and business opportunities.